Assistant Summer Camp Director (2 Positions)
YMCA Camp Elphinstone
1760 YMCA Road
Rate of Pay: $118-$122/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: March 4th – September 13th, 2019
Reports To: Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Assistant Summer Camp Director.
The Assistant Summer Camp Directors are responsible for planning and implementing all aspects of Camp Elphinstone as it relates to the counselling team, camper care, program, as well as building and maintaining an inclusive, camper-focused culture.
During the spring months, the Assistant Summer Camp Directors will assist the Summer Camp Director with hiring, sourcing program equipment, organizing summer staff training, and planning all necessary logistics for the summer season.
During the summer months, the Assistant Summer Camp Directors will assist the Summer Camp Director in supervising the senior staff team of 11 people. Other summer responsibilities include ensuring programs are camper-focused and meeting our high risk management standards, parent/guardian communication, and organizing camper/staff information systems.
· Assist with recruitment, hiring, coaching and leading a team of 120 staff and volunteers committed to building a strong, inclusive, and camper-focused camp culture.
· Ensure the safety of all members, participants, staff, and property by following YMCA standards/policies/procedures and ensuring they are maintained amongst all participants and staff.
· Communicate with parents/guardians and liaise with summer partnership groups and international groups.
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C
· Pleasure Craft Operators Card
· Class 4 Driver’s License
· ACCT Level 2
· Ability to work a flexible schedule according to operational needs
· Previous supervisory experience in camping, youth recreation, and/or experiential education
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· Occupational First Aid Level 3
· Wilderness First Responder
· Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience
© BC CAMPS ASSOCIATION 2016