Position Title: Outdoor Education Facilitator (Fall Season)
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone
Terms: Seasonal Contract, Full time, 5-6 days per week
Salary: $101.20 - $104 per day, dependent on position, experience, and qualifications
Term: Fall: September 1 to November 3, 2018
Reports To: Outdoor Education Coordinator / Outdoor Education Director
About the Organization:
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is a charity dedicated to strengthening the foundations of community, by nurturing the potential of children, teens & young adults, promoting healthy lifestyles, fostering a sense of social responsibility and delivering lasting personal & social change. We are building a community in which a generation of children and families reach their full potential. Our values guide our decision-making and behaviour—we do the right thing, put people first, keep our promises and lead by example.
For over 125 years, we have been part of the community, a place where people of every age and background find the support they need to grow in spirit, mind and body. One of the Lower Mainland’s leading charities, the YMCA of Greater Vancouver provides services in health & fitness, child care, camping, employment & community services to over 95,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located on the Sunshine Coast near Gibsons, a 40 minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It offers wonderful one-week, two-week and four week camping adventures for campers 5-17 years old. Camp Elphinstone is committed to the development of individual campers through the cabin group process and individual choice activities, waterfront and land based activities and out trips. Camp Elphinstone is home to campers from around the world as well as the Lower Mainland.
Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 100 staff and volunteers during July and August with a smaller core team of 20-50 staff/volunteers in the spring/fall. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to serve and develop children and youth in a camp setting. They demonstrate positive values, are highly skilled, flexible and can commit to the full camp season. Ability to functionally communicate in a second language such as Spanish, Korean, Japanese or Chinese is desirable for some positions.
Nature & Scope:
Outdoor Education Facilitators will deliver program instruction, interact directly with children, and provide positive customer service to schools and retreats. With the support of the Outdoor Education Coordinators, Facilitators will delivery experiential, participant-focused programming with students from elementary and high schools, as well as adult retreat groups. Staff will provide support in kitchen duties, facility maintenance and upkeep as required.
· Facilitate experience of groups and individuals.
· Provide direct program delivery in a variety of camp activities and programs.
· Act under the supervision of the Outdoor Education Coordinators and Outdoor Education Director.
· Execute Outdoor Education programming following all risk management, policies and procedures, and within the scope of training.
· Assist in the cleaning and maintenance of camp facilities as directed.
· Maintain a positive, professional, and constructive relationship with all staff members and clients.
· Help to create and maintain a healthy, positive camp culture.
· Create and maintain a positive atmosphere and build positive self-esteem and confidence in children.
· Understand and follow all program risk management standards.
· Abide by all policies, procedures, and risk management; seek further training from supervisor if required.
· Deliver safe, fun, and participant-focused experiences.
· Model appropriate behaviour in line with the Mission, Vision, and Values of the YMCA.
· Maintain an atmosphere of achievement that inspires self and others to succeed at the highest levels.
· Remain flexible – willing to learn new skills.
Child-Centered: Demonstrates an ability to provide child-centered, developmental and age appropriate environments and programs
Values: Demonstrates a high level of commitment to the Association’s mission and core values
Leadership: Motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes
Service Orientation: Deliberately identifies and creates opportunities to enhance each and every person’s YMCA experience
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner
Concern for Health: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction
Application deadline: August 18th, 2018
© BC CAMPS ASSOCIATION 2016