Sasamat Spring, Summer, Fall Weekend Coordinator
Sasamat Weekend Coordinator
May 8th 2021 – September 25th, 2021
Training: May 1-2, 2021
Full-time / Weekend / 5 month contract
Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director
As a summer camp and Outdoor Education Centre, Sasamat prides itself on creating an engaging and supportive community where children are made to feel included in the camp culture. The supportive nature of the camp allows for campers, families, and participants to try new activities and develop new skills with the help of caring staff members. Sasamat’s summer camp and Outdoor Centre is located in beautiful British Columbia.
Sasamat’s spring, summer, and fall Weekend Coordinator is a supervisor role designed to support the rest of the weekend program staff through their experience, knowledge, and leadership. This person will demonstrate themselves to be an approachable staff member willing to lend advice and help answer questions other staff might have around; group management, first aid, program instruction, etc. They will also help design and deliver creative programs during staff training and throughout the duration of weekend Trailblazer Camps, Family Camps, and Rental programs with the help of the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Centre Director. The Weekend Coordinator is also the direct liaison for the weekend program staff team to the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director. The Rover Coordinator may be asked to perform additional duties in relation to program set up and take down as well as taking on leadership of the staff team as required or asked in specific situations.
The Weekend Coordinator is responsible for supporting and supervising the Weekend based Trailblazer day Camps, Family Camp Programs, and Rental group programs every weekend over a 5 month contract. They will be responsible for helping support and supervise up to 5 other staff members.
Skills of a strong Coordinator are enthusiasm, creativity in youth programming, independence, genuine care for others and strong work ethic. All camp staff should be prepared to support camp as a whole and be prepared to share duties of other areas of camp when needed.
We will not respond through any job hosting websites or forums and will only reach out to qualifying applicants who have applied through our website for interviews. Thank you
General Responsibilities Weekend programs
1. In collaboration with the Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director.
2. In collaboration with weekend program staff and Summer Camp Director:
3. To Participate in 100% of staff training at camp and online
4. Adhere to and support all camp policies and procedures as detailed in the Staff Manual
5. Report all accidents/incidents and program concerns to the Executive Director/Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director
6. Assume designated role as assigned by Executive Director/Summer Camp and Outdoor Education Director/designate in the event of an emergency
7. Maintain high levels of staff morale and conduct by providing mentorship and support to fellow staff
· All staff will be responsible for reading and adhering to the Sasamat Outdoor Centre COVID-19 Health and Safety Plan.
· Staff may be asked to support camp outside of regular day-to-day operations.
· Staff members must be prepared to assist in the safe cleaning/disinfecting of program equipment.
· All efforts will be made to minimize direct contact with campers, other camper groups, and other staff; however in the event of first aid or potential unique scenarios, i.e. a serious behavioural management scenario, staff may be required to interact closely with campers using appropriate PPE (personal Protective Equipment).
· Staff using public transportation will be required to use reasonable judgment and prudence in regards to minimizing transmission points potentially including PPE.
· If at any time a staff member becomes ill or displays any signs/symptoms of illness, said staff member will be required to contact public health at 811 and potentially take a COVID-19 test; dependent on test results said staff member may have to remain away from work for a period of time based on advice of public health. If a staff member is unable take a COVID-19 test, they will be required to self-isolate for a two-week period, after which time if they are symptom free they can return to work.
· All staff will be required to wash their hands before entering any Sasamat Building or interact with any objects other than the outdoor sinks on Sasamat property.
· At no point will staff members share any communal items between each other or campers such as water bottles, hats, masks, etc…
· Should any staff member wish to use the coffee and tea table at Sasamat outdoor Centre, they will be required to use their own re-usable mug/ container and appropriately clean/disinfect all items touched and surfaces used.
· All staff members will adhere to and respect physical distance protocols and procedures at all times at camp.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Weekend Program Staff
Staff and Volunteers
Specialized Knowledge and Certification
Additional qualifications considered an asset
· Bronze Cross or NLS (Pool, Waterpark or Waterfront)
· Wilderness First Aid
· High Five
· Food Safe
© BC CAMPS ASSOCIATION 2016